[ RadSafe ] [Fwd: Oyster Creek]

Dukelow, James S Jr jim.dukelow at pnl.gov
Thu Feb 16 16:00:43 CST 2006

Bernard Cohen wrote:
-----Original Message-----
From: radsafe-bounces at radlab.nl [mailto:radsafe-bounces at radlab.nl] On
Behalf Of Bernard Cohen
Sent: Thursday, February 16, 2006 7:25 AM
To: RadiatSafety
Subject: [ RadSafe ] [Fwd: Oyster Creek]

-

Does anyone know why the containment at Oyster Creek will fail 74% of
the time following a fuel meltdown?

Many years ago, I looked at a similar question with respect to the
Dresden I plant, like Oyster Creek a 1st generation GE turnkey plant.  I
convinced myself and others that the large, thin (approx. 2" thick
steel) spherical containment of the plant would transmit heat to the
environment rapidly enough so as not to fail due to overpressure.

I did not ask myself about the implications of that analysis for gamma
shine from the containment dome after an accident.  Later, someone did
ask that question and Commonwealth Edison, perhaps more than
coincidentally, chose to shut the plant down.

I don't know enough about the Oyster Creek systems and containment to
answer a similar question about it.

Best regards.

Jim Dukelow
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
Richland, WA
Jim.dukelow at pnl.gov

These comments are mine and have not been reviewed and/or approved by my
management or by the U.S. Department of Energy.