[ RadSafe ] Re:"State of Fear"

BLHamrick at aol.com BLHamrick at aol.com
Mon Feb 20 22:02:30 CST 2006

In a message dated 2/20/2006 6:41:21 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
Grant.NIXON at mdsinc.com writes:

The  majority consensus in the scientific establishment is that global
warming  is the current physical trend, irrespective the causes.
Moreover, the  weather is becoming decidedly more extreme/volatile. The
evidence that this  conforms to a majority viewpoint can be seen  almost
everywhere.

The trouble I have with all of this is, it seems to me, significant global
climatic changes would only be apparent over very long time periods (on the
order of tens of thousands of years), so I can't really understand why we would
be projecting a trend on the basis of decades of data, or even a few hundred
years worth of data...unless, of course, you subscribe to the "Day After
Tomorrow" Hollywood school of climatology.  I would expect to see variation  in
the interim, even quite significant variation.

I also think humankind has a tendency to think it is much more important  and
influential than it really is.  All of this leads me to believe that  while
we may be experiencing some unusual, short-term trend (if indeed we  are), it
is no more than that, and we are likely not the cause.

Barbara