[ RadSafe ] Can tritium produce bremsstrahlung?

Baumbaugh, Joel SPAWAR joel.baumbaugh at navy.mil
Wed Feb 22 07:53:51 CST 2006

RADSAFERS,

Well, as I write this, I have a Tritium exit sign (decayed from 25
curies down to about 18 now) on my desk and my trusty Ludlum Model 3
survey meter with a 44-9 pancake probe and a 44-3 low-energy
scintillation probe.

Normal background for this meter in my office is about 40 CPM with my
pancake probe. Resting it on top of the sign (over the "x" in Exit), I'm
now getting about 105 CPM.  Changing to my low-energy scintillation
probe normal background in my office is about 300 CPM.  Placing the
probe on the "x" produces approximately 1,600 CPM...

So there you go - Science in action.. LOL....

Joel Baumbaugh (baumbaug at nosc.mil)

SSC-SD

...just my own 2-cents..