[ RadSafe ] Can tritium produce bremsstrahlung?

Robert D Gallagher rdgallagher at nssihouston.com
Wed Feb 22 11:07:55 CST 2006

I can tell you that 100-120 mCi of Tritium on a Scandium or Titanium flashed
steel foil 3/8" x 3/8" is readily observable using a pancake type detector.
NSSI has used this method to determine which side of the foil is the active
side. I would guess based on the counts we see that one could probably
observe the brems down to 10 mCi  and maybe 1 mCi.

It is certainly not a technique that could be used for routine monitoring
for Tritium.

With respect to the exit signs, the individual tubes in the sign are either
covered by a piece of plastic or glass and in some cases the tubes are
encased in Epoxy. Though the signs contain when new, 21-25 Ci of H-3, The
brems have to get through a lot of shielding before they are measured by the
counter.

Bob Gallagher
NSSI