[ RadSafe ] Can tritium produce bremsstrahlung?

Russ Johnson rujohnso at nmsu.edu
Wed Feb 22 12:51:14 CST 2006

My take on this. Whether you can see the x-ray with a pancake GM tube
depends on both the amount and the type of containment vessel its in. I
don't think you would produce any measureable bremmstralung x-ray in air
or water by H-3.

If the amount in question is less than 1 Ci, then it would be hard to
distinguish from background with a standard pancake GM. Only a fraction
of x-ray is produced near 18.6 KeV, and the efficiency for a GM using a
pancake to detect less than 18 KeV continuous x-ray goes down fast.

On the other hand, if you're talking a Ci or more and its contained in a
steel pressure tank (not smart), you will definitely see it with a
pancake GM. A lot of x-ray is being produced, and that's why something
other than steel is used.
-Russ