AW: [ RadSafe ] Re:"State of Fear"

John Jacobus crispy_bird at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 22 14:50:40 CST 2006

Rainer,
The only problem I see with your analogy is that the
Earth is not like a green house.  You can't open the
side panels.

--- Rainer.Facius at dlr.de wrote:

> Sean:
>
> Whatever the merits or shortcomings of climate
> models may be - their association with the term
> "greenhouse effect" is one of the most blatant
> misnomers or rather egregious follies that
> scientists committed in recent decades (rivalling
> the upholding of the LNT postulate for chronic low
> dose exposures).
>
> Please imagine what happens to the temperature in a
> real greenhouse if you remove the side panels and
> only leave the infrared retaining glass cover in
> place. Within minutes the temperature below your
> infrared absorbing glass cover will have relaxed to
> the temperature outside your cover. In other words,
> essentially the sole effect of a greenhouse is
> brought about by cutting off the convection of the
> heat accumulated from the absorption of radiant
> energy within the closed volume. Details of the
> spectral transmission properties of a principally
> transparent enclosure are next to irrelevant for the
> equilibrium attained in the greenhouse.
>
> Whether this misnomer was a genuine blunder or
> whether it was intentionally coined in order to sell
> one's findings more easily to the funding public
> which believes to know what a greenhouse is can only
> be speculated about.
>
> Regards, Rainer
>

> Dr. Rainer Facius
> German Aerospace Center
> Institute of Aerospace Medicine
> Linder Hoehe
> 51147 Koeln
> GERMANY
> Voice: +49 2203 601 3147 or 3150
> FAX:   +49 2203 61970

"It is not the job of public-affairs officers to alter, filter or
adjust engineering or scientific material produced by NASA's technical
staff."
MICHAEL D. GRIFFIN, NASA administrator.

-- John
John Jacobus, MS