[ RadSafe ] TFP - next questions

Charles Ellars Charles.Ellars at qsa-global.com
Thu Jan 5 07:11:17 CST 2006

Another "gee whizz" fact cluttering up my brain...

"Secular Equilibrium" from Attix "Introduction to Radiological Physics
and Radiation Dosimetry" 1986, p. 112

"The practical cases to which this terminology is applied usually
include a very long-lived parent, hence the use of the word 'secular' in
its sense of 'lasting through the ages'."

Charlie Ellars
RSO
QSA Global, Inc.
40 North Ave.
Burlington, MA 01803
(781) 272-2000 X298

>>> "Bradshaw, Keith" <keith.bradshaw at niras.co.uk> 01/05/06 5:03 AM

Thanks for finding this again James.  This came up on RADSAFE a couple
(?)
of years ago.

I doubt I'm alone in thinking simply precipiting carbonates is not
specific
enough for Sr-90 analysis.  A whole range of natural (and artificial)
radionuclides would carry through the procedure.  Radium for example,
but
there's more.

The counting procedure also seems a bit odd.  The Quantulus can be set
alternate blank-sample-blank-sample, many times over, to iron out
background
variation over long count times.  Here, they seem to have opted for 4
repeat
counts of 100 minutes for the sample, but a single long 5000 minute
count
for the background.  Probably would have been better to divide the
total
time into 20 or so equal blank-sample cycles.

To be fair, it wouldn't be the first time that the reported procedure
is not
actually what has been done.  Perhaps in reality there was more.  But
on the
basis of what's written I have doubts, as explained above.  It's a
pity,
because these are hard won valuable samples.

>P.S. What is "secular equibrium"?  It sounds like something that
>might happen on Dick Cheney's secret energy task force.

I've always thought it's an odd phrase too.  In this context it means
Sr-90
decays to Y-90, which is itself radioactive.  Because the Y-90 half
life is
very short compared to the Sr-90 half-life, the Y-90 activity will
"grow in"
any separated Sr-90, and eventually the activities of the two will
become
essentially equal.  After 7 Y-90 half-lives (or about 19 days) the
Y-90
activity will be within 1% of the Sr-90 activity.

Personal views only

keith.bradshaw at niras.co.uk