[ RadSafe ] Effluent Stack Monitoring

John Andrews andrewsjp at chartertn.net
Fri Jan 13 20:36:01 CST 2006

Make a plan that identifies the possible contaminants in the stack
effluent.  This should include particulate and gasseous materials of
interest and the appropriate sampling approach for each depending on the
temperature and humidity of the effluent.

Plan a method of sampling the average flow from the stack.  Round stacks
and square stacks are different.  Consider the distance from turns in
thestack that would provide non-uniform flow rates in different parts of
the stack.  If necessary propose to do a profile of the stack velocity
to determine the appropriate point to sample the average flow.

If sampling particulates and especially if particles greater than 10
microns will be present, plan to do isokinetic sampling.

Give us more information and we will provide more help.

John Andrews, Knoxville, Tennessee