[ RadSafe ] Fw: [OEM] TIG Welding and Titanium face implants

Robert Atkinson robert.atkinson at genetix.com
Mon Jan 16 02:32:21 CST 2006

Hi,
As a Radio Amateur and professional electronics engineer with experience
in RF and EMC issues I'd say there is no issue here at all.

1/ TIG welding does not use or produce significant amounts of RF energy.
2/ For RF energy to affect the Titanium plates it would have to pass
through the dermis and overlaying tissue, these have high water content
and would be directly affected before any significant amount of RF
energy reached the plate.
3/ The Titanium plate will not "react" to RF. The worst case would be
two resonant lengths connected by a dissimilar metal joint (diode
detector), this would produce a small voltage. This is highly unlikely.
4/ As has been pointed out Ti is non magnetic so there is no risk from
movement due to any magnetic field that might be produced by DC welding.

Regards,
Robert Atkinson G8RPI MRAeS