[MbrExchange] Re: [ RadSafe ] Your letter of Jan. 6

Ted Rockwell tedrock at starpower.net
Thu Jan 19 10:26:56 CST 2006

Friends:

We cannot begin to convince the public so long as our actions belie our
words.  For decades we have told the public that they have nothing to fear,
while we insist that we cannot expect companies to build nuclear plants
without being indemnified against an accident of unprecedented magnitude
(exceeding all insurance resources), and practice mass evacuations from
contamination beyond what is physically achievable, and pay lawyers millions
to defend against harmless levels of radiation without being willing to tell
people (and document it) that such levels ARE harmless.

We first have to bring our actions and our regulations into line with the
scientific data.  We have computer programs that "predict" thousands of
deaths from a nuclear plant casualty.  We have never repudiated these
programs as predictors of death.  After we've done so, then we have to tell
people that the data show that the worst realistic casualty cannot kill more
than few if any people (we now refuse to talk about the casualty, arguing
that this will scare people.  Our unwillingness to talk about it REALLY
scares them.)

The Japanese spent hundreds of millions of dollars to compensate 600 members
of the public who were "exposed to radiation in Japan's worst nuclear
accident."  We do the same with "fallout victims" and nuclear workers who
have received harmless levels of radiation.  The Japanese spent a year
"reconsidering their commitment to nuclear power, in view of this nuclear
incident."

We don't need a new PR spin.  We need to straighten out our own house first.
That is the purpose of the ANS Realism Project and a similar project now
under way at WNA.

Ted Rockwell