[MbrExchange] Re: [ RadSafe ] Your letter of Jan. 6

John Jacobus crispy_bird at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 20 09:53:47 CST 2006

Ted,
I think you forget that the politics of victim
compensation is not based on science alone.  The
reality is that interest groups, e.g, Atomic Veterans,
Downwinders, etc., and Congress will respond.  That is
reality.

As for educating the public on the projected cancers
and deaths, I frequently deal with those issues when
people ask about medical exposures.  I have been doing
it for about 10 years.  I still get asked the same
questions.  If you expected to educate the public, you
need to be in it for the long haul.

--- Ted Rockwell <tedrock at starpower.net> wrote:

> Friends:
>
> We cannot begin to convince the public so long as
> our actions belie our
> words.  For decades we have told the public that
> they have nothing to fear,
> while we insist that we cannot expect companies to
> build nuclear plants
> without being indemnified against an accident of
> unprecedented magnitude
> (exceeding all insurance resources), and practice
> mass evacuations from
> contamination beyond what is physically achievable,
> and pay lawyers millions
> to defend against harmless levels of radiation
> without being willing to tell
> people (and document it) that such levels ARE
> harmless.
>
> We first have to bring our actions and our
> regulations into line with the
> scientific data.  We have computer programs that
> "predict" thousands of
> deaths from a nuclear plant casualty.  We have never
> repudiated these
> programs as predictors of death.  After we've done
> so, then we have to tell
> people that the data show that the worst realistic
> casualty cannot kill more
> than few if any people (we now refuse to talk about
> the casualty, arguing
> that this will scare people.  Our unwillingness to
> talk about it REALLY
> scares them.)
>
> The Japanese spent hundreds of millions of dollars
> to compensate 600 members
> of the public who were "exposed to radiation in
> Japan's worst nuclear
> accident."  We do the same with "fallout victims"
> and nuclear workers who
> have received harmless levels of radiation.  The
> Japanese spent a year
> "reconsidering their commitment to nuclear power, in
> view of this nuclear
> incident."
>
> We don't need a new PR spin.  We need to straighten
> out our own house first.
> That is the purpose of the ANS Realism Project and a
> similar project now
> under way at WNA.
>
> Ted Rockwell
>

> On 1/19/06 10:56 AM, "Denis Beller"
> <beller at Egr.UNLV.EDU> wrote:
>
> > You are quite correct Bernie, we need to
> communicate with the public on a
> > massive scale. This kind of a study won't
> influence public understanding of
> > or support for a resumption of nuclear
> construction or development of
> > advanced fuel cycles in the U.S. because it won't
> have widespread
> > distribution. People aren't that interested if it
> doesn't make headlines. It
> > might influence the right policy maker if you can
> put it in one page, or the
> > right investor if you can get it published in
> Fortune.
> >
> > We have to reach tens of millions of people to
> have a measureable impact,
> > and this won't do it.
> >
> > Denis
> >
> > Bernard Cohen writes:

> [...]
=== message truncated ===

"Never write when you can talk. Never talk when you can nod. And never put anything in an email."  - Eliot Spitzer, New York state attorney general

-- John
John Jacobus, MS
Certified Health Physicist
e-mail:  crispy_bird at yahoo.com