[MbrExchange] Re: [ RadSafe ] Your letter of Jan. 6

John Jacobus crispy_bird at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 20 11:38:24 CST 2006

Ted,
I would say that is a noble endeavor, but I again say
that our rules and regulations are not always based on
physical realities.

As I see it, the majority of Americans do favor
nuclear power for many assorted reasons, e.g., no
green-house gases, energy independance, comparable
costs, etc.  Those are the issues we should be
"pushing."  It is just a matter of time before new
plants are built.  The anti-nuclear people will still
be among us, and will have to accept the future.

--- Ted Rockwell <tedrock at starpower.net> wrote:

> John:
>
> If the Realism Project achieved its goal of bringing
> our rules and practices
> into line with physical realities, we would be in a
> much more tenable
> position, whether or not a single member of the
> public changed his/her
> position.
>
> And, of course, it would then be easier to convert
> anti-nukes, over whatever
> length of time it took, because we would no longer
> be talking with forked
> tongue.
>
> Ted Rockwell
>

> On 1/20/06 10:53 AM, "John Jacobus"
> <crispy_bird at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > Ted,
> > I think you forget that the politics of victim
> > compensation is not based on science alone.  The
> > reality is that interest groups, e.g, Atomic
> Veterans,
> > Downwinders, etc., and Congress will respond.
> That is
> > reality.
> >
> > As for educating the public on the projected
> cancers
> > and deaths, I frequently deal with those issues
> when
> > people ask about medical exposures.  I have been
> doing
> > it for about 10 years.  I still get asked the same
> > questions.  If you expected to educate the public,
> you
> > need to be in it for the long haul.
> >
> > --- Ted Rockwell <tedrock at starpower.net> wrote:
> >
> >> Friends:
> >>
> >> We cannot begin to convince the public so long as
> >> our actions belie our
> >> words.  For decades we have told the public that
> >> they have nothing to fear,
> >> while we insist that we cannot expect companies
> >> build nuclear plants
> >> without being indemnified against an accident of
> >> unprecedented magnitude
> >> (exceeding all insurance resources), and practice
> >> mass evacuations from
> >> contamination beyond what is physically
> achievable,
> >> and pay lawyers millions
> >> to defend against harmless levels of radiation
> >> without being willing to tell
> >> people (and document it) that such levels ARE
> >> harmless.
> >>
> >> We first have to bring our actions and our
> >> regulations into line with the
> >> scientific data.  We have computer programs that
> >> "predict" thousands of
> >> deaths from a nuclear plant casualty.  We have
> never
> >> repudiated these
> >> programs as predictors of death.  After we've
> done
> >> so, then we have to tell
> >> people that the data show that the worst
> realistic
> >> casualty cannot kill more
> >> than few if any people (we now refuse to talk
> about
> >> the casualty, arguing
> >> that this will scare people.  Our unwillingness
> [...]
=== message truncated ===

"Never write when you can talk. Never talk when you can nod. And never put anything in an email."  - Eliot Spitzer, New York state attorney general

-- John
John Jacobus, MS
Certified Health Physicist
e-mail:  crispy_bird at yahoo.com