[ RadSafe ] request for opinions

Bernard Cohen blc+ at pitt.edu
Wed Jul 5 10:14:57 CDT 2006

    We all recognize that socioeconomic factors are influential in
epidemiology. In the A-bomb attacks on Japan in 1945, the radiation
exposures are estimated by distance from the epicenter of the explosion.
In cities I am familiar with, the socioeconomics are quite different for
different areas of a city.
    Combining this info, there may have been a strong correlation
between radiation dose and socioeconomics. For example, if the epicenter
was  above a poor section of the city and rich people lived in distant
suburbs, poor people would have had higher radiation doses than rich
people. Is this taken into account in determining dose-response
relationships from the A-bomb survivor data?  If so, where is this
explained? If not, why not?