[ RadSafe ] RE: Do Healthy Workers Negate Cameron's refutation of "Alara Does Work"?

John Jacobus crispy_bird at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 5 13:32:38 CDT 2006

Carolyn,
Sorry to hear that you find my claims unfounded.
However, I do have first hand information.

(1) We had one individual whose white cell counts were
beyond the normal range.  Checking his medical record,
he had about four medical exams.  Three did not
require radiation exposure.  The last was his first
radiation physical, and the blood values were within
the normal range.  The physican would have evaluated
the results would have normally considered the results
acceptable, as he was one of those that was outside of
the 90% normal range, but was required to bar the
worker for future radiation work.

(2)  A worker was successfully treated for sarcoma and
was originally accepted into radiation work.  Upon
discovering his tumor history, he was removed from
future radiation work.

There were probably about three or four more cases
that I was involved with, but we are going over work
that I was intermittently involved with 20 to 35 years
ago.  I am not saying that there was a large number of
workers who reclused from radiation work, but there
were some.  Unless corrected for, I would assume that
this aspect of the program would bias the data. This
could, in part, explain the non-health worker effect
that some epidemiologist noted. Were there other
problems with the populaiton, I cannot comment upon.
However, it you wish to ignore these issues because
the results fit your beliefs, and accept the data as
true that is your concern. I am just arguing that bias
data should be discounted in any statistical studies.

As for Dr. Matanoski, she was presented with records
and histories.  The Navy was trying to squelsch the
reports that shipyard workers had more cancers than
non-radiation workers.  This she did.

--- Carolyn Alvarez <jalvarez at nxs.net> wrote:

> I suspect that the claim by Jacobus is totally
> unfounded, especially in the
> time period of the study. Please have him provide
> proof.
>

>   _____

=== message truncated ===

"You get a lot more authority when the workforce doesn't think it's amateur hour on the top floor."
GEN. MICHAEL V. HAYDEN, President Bush's nominee for C.I.A. director.

-- John
John Jacobus, MS
Certified Health Physicist
e-mail:  crispy_bird at yahoo.com