[ RadSafe ] Nuclear planning to be speeded up

Sandy Perle sandyfl at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 6 13:33:29 CDT 2006

Nuclear planning to be speeded up
Nuclear 'last resort' for Tories
Australian PM rules out storing nuclear waste from overseas
============================

Nuclear planning to be speeded up  BBC News Jul 6 - Mr Darling is
hoping to accelerate the building of nuclear plants Local objections
to nuclear power plants could be over-ridden under planning changes
proposed by the government's energy review. Councils could alter the
appearance and precise location of the sites but would be unable to
reject power plants on the grounds they were not needed.

Trade Secretary Alistair Darling told the Financial Times a
"statement of need" would prioritise energy projects.

He said the measures were necessary to ensure power supplies did not
run out.

"Given the fact that we may need to replace a third of our
electricity generation, there is a serious risk that one day we'll
switch on the lights and there won't be gas or electricity unless we
deal with this planning problem," he said.

He said the government needed to "streamline the planning laws for
big infrastructure projects" to ensure proposals of national
importance were identified at an early stage and seen through
properly.

'Mix needed'

The idea of time limits for inquiries which had stalled was being
considered, he said.

He also wanted to "make it easier... to replace power plants that are
going out of commission".

The government's energy review is expected to be published next week.

Emphasising his backing for nuclear power, Mr Darling told the
newspaper: "I've always been clear that a mix of electricity
generation is good for two reasons.

"One is it means your eggs are not all in one basket and, in relation
to security of supply, that is very important.

"Also, of course, nuclear generation itself does reduce carbon
emissions."
 -----------------

Nuclear 'last resort' for Tories

BBC News Jul 5 - Tony Blair has said older nuclear plants will have
to be replaced The Conservatives have said nuclear power should be
used only as "a last resort" to supply the UK with energy. Their
Energy Review's interim findings say there should be a "level playing
field" for environmentally-friendly sources and other means of power.

Labour argued the Conservatives' proposals would "set renewable
development back by a generation".

Meanwhile Tory leader David Cameron used a speech to say councils had
a key role in ensuring a low carbon future.

He argued that, in a post-Cold War world, global warming represents
the greatest long-term threat to the planet.

Tony Blair has said that nuclear power is back on the agenda as a
result of fears over the security of energy supplies to the UK,
rising prices and also climate change.

But at the weekend shadow trade secretary Alan Duncan said his party
wanted to "explore every conceivable method of generating electricity
before we go to nuclear".

'Security vital'

Mr Cameron meanwhile stressed the "enormous contribution" he believes
local councils can make to slashing carbon emissions.

In a speech to the Local Government Association's annual conference
he said: "In Britain we are still lumbered with the same backward-
looking, central-planning mindset that has dominated thinking on
electricity since the first half of the last century.

  Where the government sees nuclear power as the first choice, under
our framework it would become a last resort

David Cameron

"There will always be a need for a robust and secure National Grid;
energy security is vital.

"But it is a myth that it can only be provided from remote and
inefficient power stations or that electricity has to travel hundreds
of miles to market.

"We live in a fast-changing world of scientific research and
innovation. I want Britain to be at the forefront of the green energy
opportunity and I want local government to be in the forefront of
Britain's environmental progress.

"We need to think in an entirely new way about energy. The future of
energy is not top-down, it's not centralised - it's bottom-up and
decentralised."

Increasing dependency

The interim report of the Tory energy review states that when it
comes to nuclear power there would have to be "total transparency" on
its full lifetime costs, clarity over nuclear waste and no subsidies
or special favours.

"Where the government sees nuclear power as the first choice, under
our framework it would become a last resort; where the Liberal
Democrats rule out nuclear power, we rule out subsidies and special
favours for nuclear power."

Mr Cameron says Britain's stance on electricity is "backward-looking"

The report points out that Britain is "increasingly dependent on
imported fossil fuels for power generation" and says the country
increasingly at risk from terrorist attempts to interrupt source
supplies.

It also argues that green energy options are on the brink of a
scientific and technological revolution that could transform both
effectiveness and affordability.

"We therefore believe it is now vital to give green energy a chance
to demonstrate its potential on a level playing field with other
sources of electricity."

'Harmful' policy

Trade and Industry Secretary Alistair Darling it was very difficult
to see how the Tory policy could do anything but harm if green energy
needed to be put on a level playing field.

"When you aren't prepared to support low-carbon renewable energy,
you're going to get higher carbon emissions. It's not that
complicated," he said.

"If Cameron is going to talk green, sooner or later he's going to
have to do something green. Scrapping the Climate Change Levy and
undermining renewables moves us further from a green future not
towards it."

Earlier this week the prime minister told MPs he had changed his mind
in the last three years on the need for new nuclear power stations.

An Energy White Paper in 2003 was sceptical about building new
nuclear plants, but left the option open.

A government energy review, due this month, is expected to call for
additional nuclear power stations.
 -----------------

Australian PM rules out storing nuclear waste from overseas

SYDNEY (AFP) Jul 6  - Prime Minister John Howard has ruled out
storing radioactive waste from overseas in Australia, after a
government-appointed taskforce said it would explore creating nuclear
dumps.

Howard discussed the sensitive issue with the United States this year
and has ordered an inquiry into nuclear energy in Australia, which
has the world's largest known reserves of uranium but no nuclear
power plants.

A subsequent taskforce said this week the inquiry would evaluate a
business case for whether Australia should take and store radioactive
waste from overseas.

The taskforce, headed by Ziggy Switkowski, a respected nuclear
physicist and former boss of telco giant Telstra, would also examine
whether Australia should adopt nuclear power, begin enriching uranium
for export and expand uranium mining.

But Howard ruled out taking waste from overseas saying on Thursday:
"I'm not going to have this country used as some kind of repository
for other peoples' nuclear problems ... waste problems."

Nuclear power is a sensitive political issue in Australia and the
main opposition Labor Party opposes the introduction of nuclear power
plants.

Howard appeared to also rule out the idea immediately after talks
with US officials but anti-nuclear and other groups remained
skeptical.

-------------------------------------
Sandy Perle
Senior Vice President, Technical Operations
Global Dosimetry Solutions, Inc.
2652 McGaw Avenue
Irvine, CA 92614

Tel: (949) 296-2306 / (888) 437-1714  Extension 2306
Fax:(949) 296-1144

E-Mail: sperle at dosimetry.com
E-Mail: sandyfl at earthlink.net

Global Dosimetry Website: http://www.dosimetry.com/