AW: AW: [ RadSafe ] Cameron's refutation of "Alara Does Work" - Preemployment physicals

Robert J. Gunter rjgunter at chpconsultants.com
Fri Jul 7 08:38:53 CDT 2006

Greetings All,

I don't know if people were rejected based on family history in the early
years, but on the face of it, with somewhere in the range of 2/5 - 2/10
people having fatal cancers, each person having two parents would imply a
large number of rejections based on this criteria.  That might be an avenue
to explore regarding selection bias creating the healthy worker effect.  I
wonder if there is a number of people recorded who were rejected based on
family history.

In my experience, you are frequently asked about family history, but I am
not sure that it has been used in my case to disqualify me from work.  There
was a time in the US where "pregnant workers" were removed from "hazardous"
jobs (I think the famous case was a Pb acid battery plant??) and demoted to
less hazardous jobs, with career affecting consequences.  This is why we now
do the "Declared" pregnant, rather than assume and automatically remove
someone from the workplace.

So it is within the realm of possibility that a selection bias is there, but
it would seem that if it were used to any extent, there would be a very
large number of rejections.  I doubt many workers would be prepared to give
details on the exact type of cancer (so a doctor could determine probability
of causation), so all cancers would be treated the same (with the exception
perhaps of leukemia which is commonly known).

Robert J. Gunter, CHP
CHP Consultants
Oak Ridge, TN
Ph:  (865) 387-0028