[ RadSafe ] FW: Horizon: Nuclear Nightmares

Ruth Sponsler jk5554 at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 23 21:16:22 CDT 2006

I don't have a reply regarding technical details of
internal vs. external doses, since this is complex and
depends on the individual element involved, its
biological half-life, which organs, as well as the
Q-factors. Discussion of this is entirely unnecessary,
however.

I do have a reply to the concluding statement in the
original piece from the anti-nuclear group:  QUOTE:
"Nuclear power stations cannot operate without
discharge licences, but the >scientific debate over
radiation risk has reached such a point that any
>decision to emit radioactivity will be subject to
legal challenge.  That's the point at which the drunks
will hit the pavement. UNQUOTE

This is an obvious threat of lawsuit.  It would be a
frivolous lawsuit, however, as it can be easily proven
to any judge that there is quite a lot of
radioactivity in nature - in fact, much more than a
nuclear power plant is ever allowed to emit.  This can
be proven using a simple discussion of natural
background radiation levels that involve external
exposure as well as internal deposition of nuclides
such as naturally occurring K-40 from food.

I would predict that any judge worth his salt would
throw this lawsuit out very quickly based on a simple
comparison of natural background radiation from rocks,
minerals, soil, potassium in food, and possibly radon
- with the very low levels that the power plant is
licensed to emit.

~Ruth

"

==============message truncated================== >

>We don't feel worried by the UK Government's
announcement today.
Nuclear
>power stations cannot operate without discharge
licences, but the
>scientific debate over radiation risk has reached
such a point that
any
>decision to emit radioactivity will be subject to
legal challenge.
>That's the point at which the drunks will hit the
pavement.

>The Low Level Radiation Campaign has sent you this
email circular
>because you are on our database of people who are
concerned about low
>level radiation and health. If you do not want to
receive information
>from us please reply, putting "remove from LLRC" in
the subject line.