[ RadSafe ] RE: uranium in the gulf war

James Salsman james at bovik.org
Sat Jun 24 21:24:16 CDT 2006

Carlos,

Thanks again for your questions.  I don't call myself an
activist, and I don't want to, because there are some really
strange DU activists out there.  I don't get any money from
anyone with a point of view about any kind of uranium, or
nuclear power, or mining, or even military issues.  I used to
be a member of the Campaign for a Landmine Free World, which
is part of the Vietnam Veterans of America Foundation, but I
think my membership lapsed after I moved last year, and I was
giving them money instead of the other way around.  I've never
been employed or taken money or received anything of value for
any of my work on uranium.  I have, however, been declared
an "interested party" by a Nuclear Regulatory Commission lawyer,
which means that someday (far in the future) I might qualify
for reimbursement under the Equal Access to Justice Act for
my efforts if the NRC ever recognizes the reproductive and
developmental toxicity of uranium -- which, amazingly, they
have not yet done, even though all the major uranium toxicology
textbooks have noted those problems since at least the early 1950s.

I am not a veteran.  The reason that I am interested in this
issue, primarily, is because of the disturbing implications
for the general reproductive health of the civilian and military
population.  My parents were both in the military, my father a
paratrooper during the Korean War, and my mom and dad both
eventually became science teachers in the Defense Dependents
School system, and I was born on a US Army base in Germany.
But what really got me into this issue was a friend of mine,
whose brother was a Vietnam vet, and who died of cancer within
a few years from returning home.  That was a horrible experience
for him, but I really didn't think about it.  Then, sometime in
the mid-1990s, I read the story of how the carcinogens were
contaminating the Agent Orange (with which my friend's vet
brother had been working) and I was struck by how careless the
military was, and how much it reminded me of Eisenhower's
warning about the "military industrial complex" in his fairwell
speech.  That stuck in my mind.  Then, in 2004, I read a
"Project Censored" report about depleted uranium weapons and
gulf war illness.  It had some obvious factual errors (something
about 200,000 times the amount of radiation from the Nagasaki
bomb, when they meant 200,000 times the kilograms of uranium)
and so I started studying the issue.  The more I read, the more
it seemed obvious to me that there needed to be some more
research.  But there is also an active, semi-coordinated
campaign by active and retired military to do public relations
work in support of depleted uranium weaponry -- there is a memo
from Los Alamos about this, which you can read here:
   http://www.spidersmill.com/gwvrl/LosAlamos.gif
That site, which I just found with a web search, would seem to
be a pretty good resource by and for veterans with Gulf War-
related problems; I hadn't seen it before today:
   http://www.spidersmill.com/gwvrl/du_link.htm

So, my motivation these days is, if it was so difficult for the
people in the early 1970s to test the Agent Orange shipments to
which soldiers were being exposed for carcinogens and
teratogens, then the government probably needs someone to
remind them to check the uranium for inhalation risks which may
have been missed, until they do.  I have been at this for about
two years now, and the only thing that has really changed is
that there are now a bunch of state governments which mandate
urine isotope ratio tests, which I think are completely flawed.
I don't think there is exactly a conspiracy involved, just
naturally-occurring stupidity and unprofessionalism.

As for nerve agents like sarin and mustard gases to which people
were known to be exposed, the actual extent of the exposures
must have been very low for one simple reason:  Of all the
symptoms of Gulf War illness, an increase in the cancer rate has
never been confirmed by medical studies except very recently
with respect to brain cancer deaths:
   http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/255812_gulfvets16.html

Nerve and mustard gases are fast acting, and they cause immediate
symptoms of poisoning which were not reported in Gulf War troops.
Their chronic effects include increased incidence of cancer, and
a MUCH SMALLER increase in congenital malformation (birth defect)
rates in the children of the exposed:
   http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/toxprofiles/tp49-c3.pdf

If it had been from nerve agents, there would be a whole lot more
cancers, and they would have appeared early along with the
expected and well-understood symptoms of those poisons.  However,
Gulf war illness symptoms took a long time to appear, consistent
with the slow damage done by heavy metals such as uranium
accumulation in cellular nuclei.  The Centers for Disease Control
did not report any increased hospitalizations in deployed Gulf
War veterans until almost four years after the war:
   http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/eid/vol4no2/knoke1.jpg

The trend in the Iraqi civilian population is remarkably similar.
Presumably the Iraqis were not also attacking their own people
with nerve gas; at least not during the 1991 Gulf War.  However
this chart reflects the number of congenital malformations per
1,000 births reported in Basrah University Hospital:
   http://www.bovik.org/du/basrah.gif
A subset of that data was reported by I. Al-Sadoon, et al.,
writing in the Medical Journal of Basrah University; see Table 1:
http://www.irak.be/ned/archief/Depleted%20Uranium_bestanden/DEPLETED%20URANIUM-2-%20INCIDENCE.htm

The trend in US and UK troops has been the same, with early-1990s
data reporting no effects, late-1990s data reporting increasing
effects in both American and British troops. And now there is a
clampdown on the release of any data more current than from 2000.
Even worse, the same people responsible for reporting the birth
defect rate trend have come pretty close to -- if not outright --
lying about it in the peer-reviewed scientific literature.  They
are Dr. Margaret Ryan of the U.S. Naval Health Research Center,
who is in charge of the Birth and Infant Health Registry, and
Dr. Pat Doyle in the UK who works as an epidemiologist on the
subject.  They authored a paper entitled, "Reproductive health of
Gulf War veterans," in the Philosophical Transactions of the
Royal Society B (2006) volume 361, pages 571–584.  On page 574
they state that Dr. H. Kang, et al. (2001) in "Pregnancy outcomes
among US Gulf war veterans: a population-based survey of 30,000
veterans" in Annals of Epidemiology, volume 11, pages 504–511,
"reported some evidence of a modest increase in risk of birth
defect for male veterans' offspring...."

In fact, Dr. Kang and his colleagues reported a near-doubling of
birth defect risk in male veterans' offspring and a near-tripling
in female veterans' offspring.  Drs. Ryan and Doyle omitted any
mention of the female veterans' birth defect rate in their article.

Now, on this particular topic I refuse to say whether I believe
there is a conspiracy involved.  But the medical data is clear,
the symptoms of Gulf War illness, including birth defects, are
consistent with the slow poison of heavy metal uranium poisoning
rather than the fast acting and far more carcinogenic nerve agents.

Sincerely,
James Salsman