[ RadSafe ] New Nuclear Plants

Jerry Lahti jerry1018 at wowway.com
Wed Jun 7 10:16:16 CDT 2006

Jason Bolling wrote "As a thirty-something nuclear engineer, I'm eager to see
things get off the ground and get some construction happening".

And as a sixty-something, I, and many others of my generation agree.

I have been blessed with a career that includes 10 years (1963-1973) with
NASA and the space nuclear propulsion and power programs followed by 30-plus
years in the design of commercial nuclear power plans (primarily radiation
shielding and radiological safety assessments). Many of my experienced peers,
both in design and in the regulatory areas, are now retired (or are being
retired) and carry a wealth of experience in this area that should be tapped
in the event that our (US) nuclear plant construction begins again. How could
this experience be tapped to help out our thiry-somethings? Maybe by some
kind of mentoring arrangement.

The US is fast approaching a situation where there is little nuclear power
plant engineering experience to draw from. The next US plants may indeed be
from countries active in nuclear power plant construction. And those are
France, China, Japan and South Korea.
--
Jerry Lahti
Naperville IL