[ RadSafe ] Dose to Mae Keane -Way to narrow down exposure

Stewart Farber farbersa at optonline.net
Fri Jun 16 11:15:22 CDT 2006

Hi all,

The initial article in this thread appears to be in error. Also it may be
possible to determine what the dose to this person is from radium intake.

First, it seems highly unlikely that Mae Keane is the last surviving "Radium
Girl". She may be the oldest at this moment, but many of the 2,403
individuals listed in the Appendix to Radium in Humans: A Review of US
Stuties by Rowland [ANL/ER-3, published Sept. 1994] were born in the 1930s
and 1940s. So while Mae Keane may be the oldest [and God bless her for good
genes and a good attitude contributing to her longevity], she is not likely
the last dial painter alive.

There are 1,575 dial painters in the Argonne Table A-1 list. For example
Case 12-646 was born in 1946, was alive in 1987, was first exposed in 1965,
and exposed as a Dial Painter for 260 weeks. Is she still alive?  No way to
tell from the Tables but very like based on her age. Another dial painter
listed [Case 12-669] was born in 1957, and first exposed in 1974 for 22
weeks!  Where this was done, I have no idea. Go figure.

For those on the list who want to be amateur radiation dose/epidemiological
sleuths, it is possible to scan Table A.1 of the referenced Appendix. From
the sex of the individual, date of birth, whether they were alive in 1990
[the date the book was published], their year of first exposure it should be
possible to find or at least narrow down the exposure data for Mae Keane.

She was born in 1905 or 1906 [since she is 100 now] and from what she said
went to work painting dials at age 18 [in 1923 or 1924]. Since she was alive
in 1990, only a few cases in the list of exposed women will match her age,
and date of first exposure. From this review, it should be possible to
bracket her radium intake, Ra-226/Rad-228 ratio, and tabulated dose from
Ra-226 and 228.

A project for a motivated Radsafer! Good luck and let us know what you find!

Stewart Farber, MS Public Health
203 367-0791
radproject at aol.com