AW: [ RadSafe ] Re: Lung cancer reduction

Ruth Sponsler jk5554 at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 27 17:17:22 CDT 2006

Hello all -

Although I have not read the article in question, I am
hesitant about doing a study of radon in the
environment of a coal mine, which is one of the
'dirtiest' atmospheres that I can think of.  Anyone
who has seen a picture of coal miners coming off their
shift can see what I mean.  They are covered with
black soot and the like.  Certainly, they breathe some
of that material and probably swallow a bit of it as
well.

Confounders that I can think off just off the top of
my head include:

- whether or not miners smoke (controlled for in a
good study)
- diesel fumes from equipment
- coal dust from mining operations (drilling etc.)
- minor constituent arsenic and other trace elements
in the coal dust
- anthracene and other related complex carbon
compounds that are carcinogens in the coal dust
- how long miners have been exposed to all of the
above

Studies of radon epidemiology should be done with
people who have few other environmental exposures.
This is why Dr. Cohen studied women who rarely held
jobs outside the home during the 1960s and 1950s.

~Ruth

=== message truncated ===