[ RadSafe ] SSKI for I-131 inpatient

Patrick Muldoon pmuldoon at issi-net.com
Wed Mar 1 17:42:58 CST 2006

I would not recommend doing this. First it has very little chance of doing
any good and you would have to be very careful not to leave any residue
where the patient could accidentally come in contact with it prior to
dosing.

My suggestion would be to make sure the drain is cleaned out prior to
admitting the patient. This should cut down quite a bit on what is going to
get caught in the drain. After that, as I'm sure you know, you are just
going to have to live with the toothpaste, saliva, etc. residue that won't
wash down at the end of the procedure. Are you having problems releasing the
room after procedures? When I used to work at the VA we always managed to
get the dose rate down low enough to release the room even with high doses.
Of course, we had ample time to flush the drain during our detective work
trying to find all the obscure places patients found to touch, sneeze on, or
worse :-).

Good luck!

Patrick

Patrick S. Muldoon, CHP

Sr. Health Physicist/Health and Safety Project Manager

Integrated Science Solutions, Inc. (ISSi)

1111 Civic Drive, Ste. 240

Walnut Creek, CA 94596

Tel.: (925) 979-1535 ext. 140

Fax: (925) 979-1434

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

Albert Einstein