AW: [ RadSafe ] Mistake on the UMRC web site

Rainer.Facius at dlr.de Rainer.Facius at dlr.de
Mon Mar 13 06:03:07 CST 2006

Roger:

The problem which you/we/they appear to be struggling with is the fact that absorbed dose is the expectation value of specific energy, i.e., the ratio of energy absorbed divided by the mass which is absorbing it.

A whole sub-discipline, microdosimetry, has attempted for many years to spell out what this implies for the variance of "specific energy" in small, microscopic volumes for different "radiation qualities", i.e., LET values at low doses. For common radiation protection practices ICRP has decreed that the mass of the tissue in which energy is deposited should be the denominator for the tissue (equivalent) dose which enters into the calculation of the effective dose. Since decades the usability of this has been questioned by people assigned to the task of assessing space radiation hazards (see quotations below).

If - as you reasonably might argue - the energy deposited by the uranium alpha particles has to be assigned to those cells, which actually did absorb (at least some fraction of) it, then the table below would result for the alpha decays of the U isotopes (here I declared a sphere with the diameter of the alpha particle range as the absorbing volume):

A    |    B      |      J       |   C    |       D       |   E
238  |   6.47915 |  1.03807E-12 |  46.25 |   5.83791E-11 | 0.01778
235  |   4.679   |  7.49658E-13 |  27.97 |   1.29122E-11 | 0.05806
234  |   4.859   |  7.78498E-13 |  29.61 |   1.53193E-11 | 0.05082
with the column headers: