AW: [ RadSafe ] Fears promoted by anti-nuclear Greens

John Jacobus crispy_bird at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 13 14:16:21 CST 2006

Rainer,
Both you and Tom are correct.  The BEIR and ICRP
acknowledge that research shows the biology is more
complicated than the LNT.  Nevertheless, the LNT was
and still is an instrument for radiation protection.

However, I do not think that groups like the ICRP and
BEIR can be held responsible for the misuse of the
data by those with an anti-nuclear agenda.  I do not
believe there are measurable risks below 100 mSv, and
I am sure that many of the members of the ICRP and
BEIR would agree.

--- Rainer.Facius at dlr.de wrote:

> Tom:
>
> Although you may be right regarding the parenthood
> of the monster, presently it is thriving and
> prospering mainly due to the nurture granted by the
> BEIR committees. If I remember correctly, the draft
> for the upcoming ICRP recommendations tried to spell
> out and discourage some of the most extreme abuses
> of the LNT postulate - which unfortunately they
> continue to uphold as a hypothesis reflecting
> radiobiological reality instead of a conceptual tool
> necessary for radiation protection practices.
>
> Best regards, Rainer

"Those who corrupt the public mind are just as evil as those who steal from the public purse."
Adlai Stevenson

-- John
John Jacobus, MS
Certified Health Physicist