[ RadSafe ] Fears promoted by anti-nuclear Greens

John Jacobus crispy_bird at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 15 14:35:55 CST 2006

Don,
It is interesting to note that no cases involving
radiation exposures have been won in court.  It is a
question of who as the most credible witnesses.

--- dckosloff at firstenergycorp.com wrote:

> Franz
>
> Here is an example of how the LNT is used in a
> public statement by lawyers
> today:
>     "While Exelon claims that there is no danger to
> residents from the
>    spills, there is no safe threshold for radiation
> exposure without an
>    increased risk of diseases like cancer," he said.
>
> I have seen many other such examples used by many
> different people.
> Sometimes such uses are accompanied by calculations
> that show that some
> tiny increase in radiation exposure will certainly
> cause a specific number
> of deaths.  Dr. Gofman has used the LNT to calculate
> the number of deaths
> caused by exposure to normal background radiation.
> There is a book called
> "The Petkau Effect" that asserts that the LNT
> significantly understates the
> death and illness caused by very low exposures.  The
> NRC has even posted a
> brief discussion on its website about such misuse of
> the LNT.
>
> Don Kosloff
> Bedford, Ohio
>

>              Franz Schönhofer
>
>              <franz.schoenhofe
>
>              r at chello.at>
>              Sent by:                  "'John
> Jacobus'"
>              radsafe-bounces at r
> <crispy_bird at yahoo.com>,
>              adlab.nl
> <Rainer.Facius at dlr.de>,
>
> <tom.mohaupt at wright.edu>,
>
> <maurysis at ev1.net>
>              03/13/2006 04:59
>                    cc
>              PM
> radsafe at radlab.nl
>
>               Subject
>                                        AW: AW: [
> RadSafe ] Fears promoted
>                                        by
> anti-nuclear Greens

> SNIP
>
> I cannot remember having seen any anti-nuclear,
> green, anti-radiation or
> whatever movement referring to ICRP, to LNT, to
> BEIR, to mSv or whatsoever.
> Have you, RADSAFErs ever seen anything in this
> context?
> SNIP
>
> Best regards,
>
> Franz

"Those who corrupt the public mind are just as evil as those who steal from the public purse."
Adlai Stevenson

-- John
John Jacobus, MS
Certified Health Physicist