[ RadSafe ] Daniel Fahey Paper on DU testing

Roger Helbig rhelbig at california.com
Fri Mar 17 23:04:09 CST 2006

Dan Fahey sent me this well researched paper earlier today .. he is not on RADSAFE, but he has given me permission to disseminate widely.  It would have been very helpful to the Washington State Senate at their hearing in February

Roger Helbig

Below is the summary of a short paper about DU testing for Iraq war veterans.  The full report is attached, but if you forward this announcement to others, please note the report can also be downloaded from http://www.wise-uranium.org/dissgw.html, and shortly from my web site, www.danfahey.com.

Summary of Depleted Uranium Test Results
For Iraq War Veterans

Dan Fahey

SUMMARY

The use of armor-piercing ammunition made from depleted uranium (DU) during the war in Iraq has raised concerns about DU exposures among military personnel and civilians. Since 2003, the US Department of Defense (DoD) and Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) have tested more than 2,100 Iraq war veterans for DU exposure and the UK Ministry of Defence (MoD) has tested approximately 350 veterans.  There have reportedly been few positive test results, but these results obscure problems with selection processes and testing methods.  In this paper I summarize publicly available information about the use of DU munitions in Iraq, analyze differences between DoD/VA and MoD testing processes, review the results of government testing efforts, and discuss the significance of the testing processes and results.