[ RadSafe ] A neutron spectrometry note

John Jacobus crispy_bird at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 20 10:19:59 CST 2006

Dr. Preisig,
I have also heard the terms used interchangeably in
the past with regard to work that was done by the
Naval Research Laboratory on light emissions from
TLDs.  The signal is deconvoluted.  The spectrum is
unfolded.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deconvolution
and http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Deconvolution.html

However, as noted in
http://rkb.home.cern.ch/rkb/AN16pp/node38.html
"If f(u) and fy (y) are known it may be possible to
solve the above equation for fx (x) analytically (
deconvolution or unfolding)."

--- JPreisig at aol.com wrote:

> Hmmmmmm,
>
>      This is from:   jpreisig at aol.com   .
>
>       Hey all of you,
>
>             Hope all is well where you are.
>
>       Lately, I've noticed some researchers/workers
> in neutron spectrometry
>       using the terms unfolding and deconvolution
> interchangably.  This is
>       not a correct thing to do.
>
>             Unfolding (and iterative unfolding) are
> described in the book
>       Accelerator Health Physics by Patterson and
> Thomas.  It has been
>       commonly used to analyze neutron spectrometry
> data.  There are
>       recent improvements in this technique, I
> think.
>
>             Deconvolution (and convolution) are
> described in the Mathematical
>       Physics book by Matthews and Walker.
> Deconvolution is regularly used in
>       the fields of geophysics and seismology.
> That's it.
>
>              Alpha creep, huh?  Wow.  Creep is also
> used in seismology to
>       describe rather slow movements of (earthquake)
> faults.
>
>               Take care.        Regards,   Joseph R.
> (Joe) Preisig, Ph.D.

"Those who corrupt the public mind are just as evil as those who steal from the public purse."
Adlai Stevenson

-- John
John Jacobus, MS
Certified Health Physicist