AW: [ RadSafe ] Allowable Dose Rates

Rainer.Facius at dlr.de Rainer.Facius at dlr.de
Tue Mar 28 08:27:31 CST 2006

Robert:

In an occupational setting, the German Radiation Protection Ordinance generally does not specify separate limits for dose-rate.

For radiation workers - those that are 'at risk' to receive more than 1 mSv per year from their regular occupational activities - some dose rate constraints are derived by dividing annual limits (e.g. 50 mSv effective dose) by a nominal annual working time of 2000 hours.

An exception is the dose-rate limit of 3 mSv/h. A region where under normal operating conditions 3 mSv/h can be surpassed defines an "exclusion area" which must be sealed off and marked as such and which may be entered only under supervision and if compelling reasons do necessitate this.

Otherwise, separate limits for dose-rate are given to define 'license free' radiation sources. Sources for which "under normal operating conditions" at a distance of 10 cm from their "tangible surface" the dose rate stays below 1 micro-Sv/h are exempt from the necessity of authorisation. For ion accelerators this limit is 10 micro-Sv/h.(?)

Regards, Rainer

Dr. Rainer Facius
German Aerospace Center
Institute of Aerospace Medicine