[ RadSafe ] Dirty Bomb Material Crosses Border

Stewart Farber farbersa at optonline.net
Tue Mar 28 22:51:31 CST 2006

Anyone can walk into any welding supply business and walk out with 50 or 500 pounds of  Thoriated welding rods [2% thoria by weight which can equal many pounds of  thorium oxide in 500 pounds of welding rods]. Thoriated welding rods can also be purchased on eBay.  The activity of this much Thorium oxide is a real concern.

>From a reference: "The compounds of thorium are very active.[26] Thorium oxide surpasses even metallic uranium in activity." Of concern in this regard for ThO2:  No control on purchase. A totally exempt isotope, and the potential for significant contamination. And people are worried about a few exempt quanity check sources? Bizarre.

Stewart Farber
radproject at optonline.net