[ RadSafe ] Dose rate limits

ROBBARISH at aol.com ROBBARISH at aol.com
Tue Mar 28 23:31:47 CST 2006

Dear Mr. Ravello:

As my RADSAFE posting stated, for restricted areas such as the x-ray  control
booth you discuss, there are no dose rate limits in any  jurisdiction that I
know. The only criteria for acceptability of the radiation  shielding is
compliance with an integrated (total) dose limit, one that seems to  have been
readily met in the situation that you describe.

In your initial post you stated that you did not have instrumentation
capable of measuring the integrated dose, only the dose rate. If that's true you
simply need to multiply the measured dose rate by the actual radiation "on"
times to derive the total dose in that area. I thought from your second posting
that you had done so and were satisfied that the total weekly or annual dose
was  acceptable. Again, if that is the case, then you do not have to worry
about dose  rates. Any dose rate that you measure is acceptable. Only in Great
Britain,  in unrestricted public spaces (not x-ray control booths) do they apply
an  instantaneous dose rate limit. So as I said in my posting to RADSAFE you
should stop being concerned about the dose rate you measure. I don't know how
I  can make this any more clear.

Respectfully,

Robert Barish