[ RadSafe ] Dirty Bomb Material Report?

Flanigan, Floyd Floyd.Flanigan at nmcco.com
Wed Mar 29 08:59:13 CST 2006

Well ... I find little use for the 'dirty bomb' scenarios. We seem to focus a lot of attention on the issue, which, as nuclear professionals, is appropriate. But I suspect the odds of a terrorist picking that particular approach, what with the extreme difficulty presented in obtaining a useful amount of nuclear material to incorporate into such a device versus the ease of other approaches, are low. At any given noon hour, in any major city, there is within reach to any and all, access to hundreds of thousands of gallons of high grade gasoline, diesel, aircraft fuel, ammonia etc. being trucked around the highways and surface roads, and left unlocked and unguarded at filling stations and storage yards. If I were a terrorist, and I was trying to get the most low risk bang for my buck, I would lean toward the readily available, easily accessible bomb materials rather than risk being caught before having begun by attempting to obtain the nuclear materials. It would be much easier to slap a few ounces of plastique on a tanker truck or two at a truck stop or traffic light ... maybe chuck an ounce or two down the unguarded fill port at a gas station or two ... You get the picture.

Yes ... a Dirty Bomb would most likely cause panic in the streets, but this would most likely be more intense due to the way the media would sensationalize the event when reporting it, trying to be the next Edward R. Murrow and score a Pulitzer for journalism. If the public received the report from a competent radiation safety professional or health physics professional, who would explain the realistic potentials for health risk and the true facts and figures ... the screaming in the streets would be reduced to a minimum. But that won't happen. They'll find the first slack-jawed yokel on the scene and he/she will exclaim that he/she "see'd it all!" and then a sweet yet vacuous blonde with immaculate eye-lashes will put on her best eyebrow knitting Connie Chung impression and begin rambling on, making sure every time she utters "radiation" or "contamination" (Which, to her will be interchangeable terms) the words are louder and sterner than the rest of what she says.

Ain't life grand?

Floyd W. Flanigan B.S.Nuc.H.P.