[ RadSafe ] Dirty Bomb Material Crosses Border

John Jacobus crispy_bird at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 30 08:09:24 CST 2006

I wonder if they used one of these sample licenses for
a radiography source?

http://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/doc-collections/nuregs/staff/sr1556/v2/#_1_68

--- Rogers Brent <Brent.Rogers at environment.nsw.gov.au>
wrote:

> I've yet to read any reports on this issue, but I
> did see the GAO official
> that was addressing the Senate committee doing just
> that on The NewsHour
> (PBS-TV).  He claimed that they downloaded a sample
> license from the NRC
> website, then used software that is commercially
> available on the internet
> to create their own counterfeit NRC license.
> Apparently, according to The
> NewsHour talking head, the NRC has removed sample
> licenses from their
> website.  I haven't personally verified that.
>
> They then supplied the counterfeit license documents
> to suppliers in Canada
> & Mexico, and the items were shipped.  I never heard
> him say what the
> isotope(s) or activities of the items were, but The
> NewsHour only supplied
> truncations of the testimony.
>
> Brent Rogers
> Manager Radiation Operations Unit
> NSW Environment Protection Authority
> Department of Environment and Conservation
> *+61 2 9995 5986
> *+61 2 9995 6603
> * PO Box A290 Sydney South 1232

"Those who corrupt the public mind are just as evil as those who steal from the public purse."
Adlai Stevenson

-- John
John Jacobus, MS
Certified Health Physicist