[ RadSafe ] 60 Minutes feature on Hanford last night

Jim Hardeman Jim_Hardeman at dnr.state.ga.us
Tue May 2 13:31:29 CDT 2006

Sandy, Jim et al.

Same situation at Savannah River Site (SRS) ... the Defense Nuclear Facility Safety Board (DNFSB) raised seismic issues re: the design and construction of the Salt Waste Processing Facility (SWPF) at SRS ... resulting in at least a 2-year delay in facility startup, and an increase in life-cycle cost of more than $1 billion. Of particular interest to us are DOE's plans to implement a program called "Interim Salt Processing" to remove some of the lower activity salt-waste from HLW tanks, treat it so that it meets the concentration limits for Class C low-level radioactive waste (LLW) and dispose of it on-site as grout inside near-surface vaults. I'm aware that DOE is working to revise plans ... the last numbers I saw indicated that 3,000,000 - 5,000,000 Ci of Cs-137 might be disposed on-site until the startup of SWPF.

My $0.02 worth ...

Jim Hardeman, Manager
Environmental Radiation Program
Environmental Protection Division