[ RadSafe ] 60 Minutes feature on Hanford last night

Conklin, Al (DOH) Al.Conklin at DOH.WA.GOV
Tue May 2 13:57:13 CDT 2006

Jim covered the seismic issues well, and I didn't see the 60 minutes
thing either, mostly for the same reasons Jim didn't. I do, however
license the Hanford Waste Treatment Plant for radioactive air emissions
(we regulate their controls and monitoring systems), having given them a
construction authorization, which has been modified several times to
accommodate changing design. We will ultimately issue an operational
license (hopefully in my lifetime). I stay out of the politics, since I
work for them here in Washington, but I can at least comment on the
contractor (Bechtel National). I don't know if they've made seismic
related design mistakes or not, but my dealings with them have been very
positive. They are very proactive in getting design changes to us and
working closely with us to keep the project going. They have been very
professional and excellent to work with. We also work closely with the
Department of Energy's Office of River Protection, who we also work
closely with, and who seems to me to be trying to do the right thing the
right way.

I should also add that not all tank wastes will go through this plant.
Some of the wastes are TRU and will be retrieved and go to WIPP. Some
are low level wastes, which will go through supplemental technology.
There are no plans to do anything with what has already leaked into the
ground, but, as Jim said, once it hits the river, its so dilute, it
can't be seen down stream. Plus most of the waste is tied up in the
vadose zone below the tanks, so I question whether most of it will ever
reach the river.