[ RadSafe ] Measuring alphas with GM? Re: Survey MDAs vs. ScanMDAs

Glenn R. Marshall GRMarshall at philotechnics.com
Thu May 11 14:44:35 CDT 2006

Ludlum also quotes 19% efficiency for Tc-99 (4-pi), and I've received
pancakes from them with reported 4-pi efficiencies in excess of 20%.
Everyone else gets 10-12%.  I called their tech support people once and
asked about it.  The person on the other end of the phone said they put
the source inside the recess of the probe, right up against the screen.
Perhaps he was pulling my leg; if so, would somebody please tell me?  I
don't put much stock in advertised efficiency.  In the field, under
normal industrial conditions, alpha efficiency on a pancake is usually
pretty crappy.

Glenn

  _____