[ RadSafe ] Measuring alphas with GM? Re: Survey MDAs vs. ScanMDAs

John Jacobus crispy_bird at yahoo.com
Fri May 12 07:08:12 CDT 2006

Unless you put the material right up against the
screen, alpha surveying in the field is pretty poor.
During a training exercise, I had a friend who had
problems surveying cacti in the desert.

--- "Glenn R. Marshall" <GRMarshall at philotechnics.com>

http://www.thermo.com/com/cda/product/detail/1,1055,21854,00.html
> , this
> is generally fitted with an LND pancake GM e.g.
> 7311, 7312, 7313 or 7314
> (depending on the connectors required and operating
> voltage).
>

> Ludlum quotes 15% (4pi) efficiency for Pu-239 for
> the 44-9, as this and
> other similar probes (e.g. Eberline HP260, Bicron
> PGM, Tech Assoc P15)
> all use a 15.5 cm2 pancake geiger similar to those
> listed above from LND
> (e.g. Canberra, St Gobain etc.) the performance for
> alpha monitoring
> will be broadly similar.
>

> Regards,
>
>     Julian

"People will be shocked to see how safe it is to live in New York City."
ANDREW KARMEN, a sociology professor at John Jay College of Criminal Justice, on murder trends in the city.

-- John
John Jacobus, MS
Certified Health Physicist
e-mail:  crispy_bird at yahoo.com