[ RadSafe ] Re-measuring alphas with GM?

Emil kerrembaev at yahoo.com
Fri May 12 00:10:17 CDT 2006

Dear Radsafers,

I really appreciate all your feedbacks.

Wow, I should've keep my mouth shut and I could look as a smart :-)
Hey, living learning, right?

Yes, GM can "detect" alphas as well as someone told earlier here on
this list (1/300) of low energy photons from H-3.

The question is what does GM detect with alphas?
Is it direct ionization from alpha in the gas? If so how much direct
and how much is indirect/bremstlung in the window.

Of course all the instruments are just "pieces with two wires +/-" We
are all handy and talented people and can make work anything with two
wires, right?

Put two GM pancakes with a silver foil in between and you may even
measure neutrons with these coincidence GM probes.
Of course it will not be DIRECT measurement of neutrons but gammas
from short lived activated product.
Believe me, it was done.

Radiation detection is what you see and how confident you are.

However, I would never use GM for the alpha release survey, sorry.

Again, I am not an instrument geek, I am more on the instrument usage
side. So if you are confident in your measurements then.
Good luck on your surveys.

Emil.