[ RadSafe ] [Fwd: RE: uranium combustion produces how much UO3(g)?]

James Salsman james at readsay.com
Thu May 11 22:07:12 CDT 2006

Dear Colonel Daxon,

Again, to what data do you refer?

The only data I've been able to find which can answer the question
are the enthalpies of production of uranium oxide gases in table
V.4 on page 98 of H. Wanner and I. Forest, eds. (2004) "Chemical
Thermodynamics of Uranium" (Paris: OECD and French Nuclear Energy
Agency) -- http://www.nea.fr/html/dbtdb/pubs/uranium.pdf

Ask a physical chemist to interpret those figures if you don't
understand them (I had to.)  UO3 production at the burning
temperature (>2500 K) is more likely than UO2 production, and
UO2 is already established as 25% of the solid particulate product.
There is reason to believe that nearly all U3O8(s) particulate
product is produced from UO3(g) condensation and decomposition,
and not as a direct combustion product.  The French thermodynamic
table lacks the enthalpies for direct production of U3O8, but
common sense suggests that a large, eleven atom oxide is an
unlikely combustion product in comparison to the four atom UO3.

And by the way -- I forgot to mention these three important facts:

1.  If UO3(g) cools below about 400 deg. C before it condenses,
then it will not decompose further.

2.  "Health impact assessments for depleted uranium munitions
should take into account the presence of respiratory UO3"
according to Salbu, B. et al. (2005) "Oxidation states of uranium
in depleted uranium particles from Kuwait," Journal of
Environmental Radioactivity, 78, 125–135:
   http://www.bovik.org/du/Salbu-uranyl-detected.pdf

3.  Production of UO3 as a combustion product is documented in:

Army Environmental Policy Institute (1995) "Health and
Environmental Consequences of Depleted Uranium Use in the US
Army," Champaign, Illinois, June 1995; and

U.S. Army Center for Health Promotion and Preventive Medicine
(1998) "Interim Summary, Total Uranium and Isotope Uranium
Results," Project No. 47-EM-8111-98.

Sincerely,
James Salsman