[ RadSafe ] Fish-to-Fish Transmission of Radiation-Induced Stress

osuleiman at comcast.net osuleiman at comcast.net
Fri Nov 10 09:24:40 CST 2006

BWC - HPS Meeting Announcement - Radiation Safety in Medicine
November 17, 2006, 8:30 am - 4:00 pm
Columbia Sheraton Hotel (see location details below).
Cost:   $30 for chapter members $40 non-members (includes lunch).
RSVP:  Steve McGuire sam2 at nrc.gov (preferred) or call 301-415-6204 by
noon on November 14.
Jointly sponsored by MAC of the American Association of Physicists in
Medicine and the Baltimore-Washington Chapter of the Health Physics
Society
Agenda
8:30 - 9:30  Coffee and Meet the Vendors
9:30 - 10:15 Radiation Biology Revisited- Nick Detorie
Review of fundamentals of radiation biology and new research which will
impact on the science of radiation dose and its determination.
10:15 - 11:00 Radiation Hormesis- Deal or No Deal? - Ken Strubler
Hormones, vitamins and essential trace minerals are classic hormetins.
But do high and low doses of ionizing radiation produce diametrically
opposite results?
11:00 - 11:45 CT technology in dual-modality imaging systems such as
PET-CT and SPECT-CT - Mahesh Mahadevappa
Review of current hybrid scanners, including radiation safety from both
x-ray and radiopharmaceuticals.
11:45 -1:00 LUNCH / Meet the Vendors
Radiation Safety Challenges in a complex professional and regulatory
environment:
1:00 - 1:20  Fluoroscopy: Have we failed or succeeded? - Tom Shope
Review of fluoroscopy issues, past, current, and future efforts, both
educational and regulatory.
1:20 - 1:40  What is the actual Risk? - Orhan H Suleiman
Review of common sources of radiation, the actual risk, and how risk is
perceived. Where did ALARA fail?
1:40 - 2:00  The NRC's new responsibilities for NARM and its impact
on PET facilities - Duane White
2:00 - 2:20  How Maryland has handled such multifaceted challenges -
Roland Fletcher
2:20 - 2:45 Break / Visit with Vendors
2:45 - 4:00 Panel Discussion (All speakers)
Potential panel questions:
1. Even though fluoroscopy doses were a concern, why did it take
radiation burns and litigation to stimulate activity?
2. Is the increasing use of CT, especially with high dose
radiopharmaceutical imaging exams an emerging issue, why or why not?
3. What impact will the new NRC regulation of PET nuclides have in this
geographical area?
4. When educational efforts begin to fail, should regulation be the next
step, e.g. first voluntary quality assurance efforts, then voluntary
accreditation, finally federal regulation?
5. When regulation fails, what should be the next step?
Attendees may submit questions in advance of the meeting by emailing
them to BWCHPS at comcast.net.
Location:  Columbia Sheraton (10207 Wincopin Circle Columbia, Maryland
21044)  For more information on hotel and driving directions go to:
http://www.sheratoncolumbia.com/
Please RSVP early!  And Please come if you RSVP.  The
Baltimore-Washington Chapter may be charged for each reservation,
whether everyone comes or not.  Therefore, if you make a reservation but
don't cancel by the RSVP cutoff date, we may ask you to pay the cost
even if you don't come.  Please remember we try to keep costs to our
Members as low as possible!