[ RadSafe ] Cleansing nuclear fallout from the body

stewart farber radproject at sbcglobal.net
Thu Nov 16 13:33:28 CST 2006

Hi all,

For what it is worth. An interesting environmental radiation input on this
thread.

Back in the 1970s, environmental monitoring program data I was asked to
review indicated very elevated levels of Mn-54 and Co-60 in lobsters sampled
in the vicinity of a nuclear power plant in the immediate vicinity of the
plant discharge.

Analyses of these lobsters, showed the activity was not in the lobster meat,
but in the lobster shells. A literature review I made at the time suggested
that the chitenous exoskeleton of lobsters and other types of marine life
having these chitenous exoskeletons [such as crabs, etc.] tended to pick up
nuclear activation products like Mn-54 and Co-60.

So it should come as not surprise that chitosan from shellfish is very
effective for the removal of particulate and dissolved radionuclides.

Stewart Farber, MS Public Health
Consulting Scientist
[203] 367-0791 [office]
[203] 522-2817 [cell]