AW: [ RadSafe ] Cleansing nuclear fallout from the body

Franz Schönhofer franz.schoenhofer at chello.at
Thu Nov 16 15:49:58 CST 2006

Stewart,

I am grateful for your contribution, because I have wondered for probably
two decades, why shellfish showed elevated concentrations of radionuclides
for instance in the vicinity of Sellafield in their shell!

Additionally it has been found close to uranium mines (e.g. Australia) that
freshwater mussels use to concentrate several natural radionuclides in their
shell - which is not chitinous. Probably there is a second mechanism.

Taking the meat of both fish and shellfish into consideration: They
accumulate especially Po-210. We found that the population of French
Polynesia in the South Pacific receives a by far higher radiation dose from
consumption of fish - their main food - than from the traces of fission
products from the atmospheric nuclear explosions conducted by the French in
Mururoa and Fangataufa.

A final remark: For checking the presence of Mn-54 and Zn-?? a special
seaweed (sorry, I forgot the name) was collected in the sea close to the
nuclear power plant of Loviisa in Finland. I remember the nice boat trip to
reach the "harvesting grounds".

Best regards,

Franz

Franz Schoenhofer