[SPAM]RE: [ RadSafe ] National Academies Project: Toxicological andRadiological Effects from Exposures to Depleted Uranium During and After Combat

Eric D edaxon at satx.rr.com
Fri Nov 17 21:07:25 CST 2006

The post below is a good example of the fundamental difference between our
jargon and speaking plainly.  It is also a good example of how we get
trapped by the words safe and honest.

When I was asked if I thought DU was safe by veterans and congressional
committees, they were not asking me the question, "Is DU risk free?"  This
unfortunately has become our de facto definition of safe - risk free.  This
is a harmful definition that is causing real, measurable harm to real
people.

Later in my career, I translated the common sense question - "Is it safe" -
into our jargon and the question became, "In your professional opinion, are
the risks acceptable?"  The answer again is yes under all relevant
circumstances.  I am anticipating responses that hypothesize situations
where this may not be the case because that is how we are taught to think in
our line of work.

An example may help to get my point across.  A buyer asks, "Is your house
safe?"  The common sense answer is, "Yes."  The "scientific" answer, "It is
safer than riding in a car for x many miles."  "It is safer than smoking so
many cigarettes in a lifetime."  "It is safer than swimming."

Again the buyer asks, "Is your house safe?"  You respond with, "Safe is hard
to define."  "It depends on your risk tolerance."  "It depends on whether
you see the risks as being voluntarily accepted or imposed risks." "Well no
house is risk free."

All of the above statements fit the paradigm we have adopted but I think
everyone on this list would decline to buy this safe house because these
statements inaccurately conveyed the intended message with accurate
statements.

I like to remember that the world at large did not caveat the word "safe" to
the meaning we have ascribed to it, we did and we did it without seeking
permission or consensus.  A bit of hubris on our part I believe.

The word "honest" and the word "liar" are not words I use lightly because
they have often been used inappropriately and hurtfully against me.  Because
of the internet, they tend to stick around. I can honestly use the word
"safe" in a scientific context if I believe it to be a true representation
of my assessment and my words are not intended to deceive or to create a
false impression of my beliefs.  I might be incorrect but I am not being
dishonest.

I will disagree with someone who believes that the word "safe" cannot be
used in a scientific setting but I will not call his belief "dishonest" just
because I disagree with it.

We have buffaloed ourselves to the point that it takes a great deal of
courage to use this four letter word because of the criticism we get from
not only activists but from our peers.

v/r

Eric Daxon, PhD