[ RadSafe ] Reactor in the Basement!

Peter Thomas Peter.Thomas at arpansa.gov.au
Wed Nov 22 15:51:50 CST 2006

Kristian Ukkonen wrote (inter alia):

>The "flash" is actually a beatiful "star" in the middle
>of the vacuum chamber with the electrostatic confinement electrodes,
and it stays there - ie. not any flash but a plasma lasting as long  >as
there is the high-voltage.

This is something I'm not very clear on.  Is there a difference between
a discharge and a plasma?  Inside the central electrode I imagine that
the electric potential is fairly flat but it's sitting at -20 to -50 kV
relative to the grounded chamber, throw in some low pressure gas and you
have a Crookes tube.  A lot of these guys test their set-ups with
nitrogen before they run with deuterium, do they still get the pretty
"star" with non-fusing gases?

Peter Thomas
Medical Physics Section
ARPANSA

Important: This email (including any attachments) is intended only for the use of the
addressee and may contain confidential and / or privileged information.
If you are not the intended addressee, you are prohibited from relaying on, distributing, disclosing,
copying or in any other way using any information in this email. If you have received this email in error,
please notify the sender immediately and erase all copies.
Any opinions expressed in this email are not necessarily held or authorised by Australian Radiation
Protection And Nuclear Safety Agency (ARPANSA).
Whilst ARPANSA has taken all reasonable steps to ensure this is email is virus free,
it accepts no responsibility and makes no warranty. The recipient should take its own steps to ensure
there is no virus and bears full responsibility for any use.

Australian Radiation Protection And Nuclear Safety Agency