[ RadSafe ] Fatalities due to Internal Radioactive Material

Fritz A. Seiler faseiler at nmia.com
Wed Nov 29 16:47:20 CST 2006

Hi All,

It was quite a while ago, when I was still in Switzerland, that there
were two fatalities due to tritium exposure in the eastern part of
Switzerland.  If I remember correctly, the book on tritium that someone
mentionned [Tritium, A.A. Moghissi and M.W. Carter (Eds.); Messenger
Graphics, Las Vegas NV, 1973] does not contain a relevant treatment of
the case.

At present, I can retrieve from an old memory the following:
-	The two were owner and employee of a small firm that made
luminous paint for wrist watch dials,
-	During a checkup, the employee was found to have a large body
burden of T and was told not to work with T any more,
-	The owner ignored the injunction of the authorities, and told
his employee to continue working as before,
-	For some reason or other he participated in the paint production
himself, and
-	In the end they both accumulated huge body burdens and finally
died from radiation syndrome.

I think some Swiss or German participants on the mailing list could
easily retrieve the facts of this case, but I seem to remember that the
dose calculation was so difficult as to make any conclusions
meaningless.

Best regards

Fritz

Fritz A. Seiler, Ph.D.
Sigma Five Consulting:          Private:
P.O. Box 1709                   P.O. Box 437
Los Lunas, NM 87031             Tomé, NM 87060
Tel.:      505-866-5193         Tel. 505-866-6976
Fax:       505-866-5197         USA

"This is the hour when democracy must justify
itself by capacity  for effective decision, or risk
destruction or disintegration. Europe is dotted
with the ruins of right decisions taken too late."

"America's Responsibility in the Current Crisis"
Manifesto of the Christian Realists. May, 1940.