[ RadSafe ] Polonium and consumer uses

Richard L. Hess lists at richardhess.com
Wed Nov 29 19:10:01 CST 2006

With all this talk of polonium, I'm wondering why I'm still alive! I
think StaticMaster film-cleaning brushes included polonium cartridges
to ionize the air around the negatives you were trying to clean. I
recall the requirement to send them back to their maker for disposal.
My mentor who had a darkroom in his house used these in the 1960s.

Am I mis-remembering? What other uses has polonium been put to?

Of course, any of these brushes would be long dormant given the short
half-life.

This was a horrible use of "science" but I am frustrated that the
press reports don't have any numbers in them. For example, what level
of radioactivity was found on the plane? How many CPM of alphas?

Gives new respect for alpha particles and their destructiveness.

Regards,

Richard

Richard L. Hess                   richard at richardhess.com
Aurora, Ontario, Canada       http://www.richardhess.com/