[ RadSafe ] rad material at your local high school

Nathan Russell windrunner at gmail.com
Thu Nov 30 13:32:07 CST 2006

I've been lurking on this list for quite some time (originally showed
up to ask a question about Chernobyl for Wikipedia, where I'm a
sysop).

I'm not a professional (though I'm an MS candidate in computer
science, applying for PhD programs now, and have some casual interest
in health physics and related topics, largely growing out of being a
long-time science fiction reader).

But I figure I can share my experience in high school, which I think
is typical.  The earth science teacher had a Fiestaware bowl that he
used as a radioactive source for simple demos (e.g. demonstrating
blocking radiation with various objects).  I don't know how
radioactive it was, however the teacher's Geiger counter went from
about 1-2 a second to maybe 10 or 15 when it was next to the bowl (I
realize this isn't quantative, but it gives some idea).  Other things
I've heard of being used as sources in schools include chunks of ore
and commercial K-containing salt substitutes.

The teacher's own view of the danger was something along the lines of
"if you tied the bowl to your arm for a week, you'd probably get a
sunburn".  When it wasn't in use, he kept the bowl in a drawer which I
believe he'd lined with improvised shielding (again, my memory's not
that good...  but it was some sort of metal, not particularly thick).

I know some students had concerns (actually, I was quite amused at the
time to see students covering their crotches with their textbooks and
so forth) and I imagine parents might have too, whether or not there
was an actual risk.  Just an unscientific data point, take it as you
will.

Nathan