AW: [ RadSafe ] Significant results in abstracts

John Jacobus crispy_bird at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 6 14:29:07 CDT 2006

Rainer,
I was partly poking fun at you.  Of course, there is
no way to determine if the radioepidemiology papers
you refer to were included in this PubMed sampling.

It appears that you are presenting two different
issues here.  I am sure that you can find this effect,
e.g., abstracts that do not support the findings given
in the paper, even in your field of study.

As a separate issue, you, as a scientist, should
appreciate that one or two papers may not establish
the principal bases of a conclusion.  It is the body
of work that counts.  If you cherry-pick the data from
a few papers, you may miss the broad conclusions that
a greater number of studies support.  As you noted in
the past, the Taiwanese study is not good one to base
the benefits or harm of radiation.

If the abstract does not reflect the content of the
study, then there is a problem with the peer review
process.  And that is not a new issue either. See
http://www.nature.com/nature/peerreview/debate/index.html

--- Rainer.Facius at dlr.de wrote:

> Not really, John:
>
> Of course I did read the paper including 9 papers
> quoted by Gotzsche to make sure I grasp the context.
> Only afterwards did I post.
>
> In doing so, I was thinking of the BEIR VII-2
> committee which at least in 4 cases quoted
> (approvingly) 'momentous' radioepidemiological
> studies apparently only from reading the abstracts,
> where the text and/or the data do not sustain or
> rather contradict the claim made in the abstract.
>
> Furthermore, ALL radioepidemiological studies are
> covered by Pubmed.
>
> BTW: Regarding one of these studies, a member of the
> ICRP main commission remarked in a recent
> controversial 'public' discussion to me: "Forget
> about this study" (one which supported BEIR-VII and
> hence was distinctively endorsed by them) and
> regarding a more recent one (even more 'momentous'):
> "This one is even worse".
>
> So, I have every reason to allege that the finding
> of Gotzsche pertains to radioepidemiological studies
> too - including those claiming to uphold the LNT
> postulate.
>
> Kind regards, Rainer
>
> Dr. Rainer Facius
> German Aerospace Center
> Institute of Aerospace Medicine
> Linder Hoehe
> 51147 Koeln
> GERMANY
> Voice: +49 2203 601 3147 or 3150
> FAX:   +49 2203 61970

May we never confuse honest dissent with disloyal subversion.
Dwight D. Eisenhower

-- John
John Jacobus, MS
Certified Health Physicist