AW: [ RadSafe ] Nuke meltdown may have caused cancers

Dukelow, James S Jr jim.dukelow at pnl.gov
Mon Oct 9 13:58:04 CDT 2006

Steven Dapra wrote:
-----Original Message-----
From: radsafe-bounces at radlab.nl on behalf of Steven Dapra
Sent: Sun 10/8/2006 5:38 PM
To: radsafe at radlab.nl
Subject: Re: AW: [ RadSafe ] Nuke meltdown may have caused cancers

Oct. 8

	Now that I've stopped laughing . . . .

	This meltdown appears to have actually happened.  The uproar about health
effects is being guided by the usual claque of anti-nukers.  We have this
Santa Susanna Field Laboratory Advisory Panel.  Who serves on it?  At this
link <http://www.ssflpanel.org/members.htm> we first find Steve Wing.  We
all remember him, don't we?  Next we find Daniel Hirsch, president of the
Committee to Bridge the Gap.  This is an anti-nuclear and general
scare-mongering organization.  Also on the Panel are David Lochbaum of the
Union of Concerned Scientists, and the late Alice Stewart.  There are other
members whose names I do not recognize.

	I can't get any of the linked Advisory Panel reports to open so I can't
comment on them.  I can just about guess what they will be like.

Steven Dapra
sjd at swcp.com

Panel consultant David Richardson is a colleague of (at UNC) and co-author of Steve Wing.  Panel consultant Jan Beyea was (is?) an epidemiologist at Columbia University, but one who strongly disputed Steve Wing's epidemiological analysis of the TMI accident.  Panel member Gregg Wilkinson, now in Texas, was involved with several data-dredging analyses of radiation epidemiology, particularly of DOE worker populations, when he was at Oak Ridge.  A couple of those papers are among the worst I have ever seen in a peer-reviewed journal.

Best regards.

Jim Dukelow
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
Richland, WA
jim.dukelow at pnl.gov

These comments are mine and have not been reviewed and/or approved by my management or by the U.S. Department of Energy.