[ RadSafe ] Significant results in abstracts

John Jacobus crispy_bird at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 13 16:04:48 CDT 2006

Jim,
Thank you for the information.  Nevertheless, my point
was that medical publications are sometimes not as
well reviewed as technical publications.  I have no
way of judging what publicatons were reviewed to find
the errors in abstracts.

I was not discussing radiation biology work.  I assume
you appreciate my posting that allowed you to post
your comments even if they are not germain to the
discussion.

Have a good weekend.

--- "Muckerheide, Jim  (CDA)"
<Jim.Muckerheide at state.ma.us> wrote:

> Thanks Rainer,
>
> I wanted to ask John what radiobiology journal he
> knew about that is not in PubMed!?
>
> This was true of Rad Research once-upon-a-time
> because it was originally a "technology" journal, in
> some cases with an initial letter "T" as the LC
> classification designator.
>
> Its LC call number designation now is QC770
> (specifically, QC770.R129).  The "Q" designates
> "Science."  The LoC description for "QC770-798" in
> the LC classification scheme is:
>
> "QC770-798 Nuclear and particle physics. Atomic
> energy. Radioactivity"
>
> The scope of the RRS included all "radiation
> interaction with matter" including pressure vessel
> embrittlement, etc.
>
> In addition, by having a "radiation study group" as
> the reviewer for proposed research, research that
> would/could have been of interest to immunologists,
> etc., including the substantial evidence of LDR
> health and medical benefits, did not get to relevant
> research interests.  So no one in immunology and
> other disciplines were paying much attention to the
> work then being done, or the proposals not being
> funded by the radiation reviewers.  We advised
> Domenici's staff in '97 that, in addition to doing
> additional low-dose research (that should not be
> limited to DOE to continue suppressing the evidence,
> but should include mainstream biology and medicine
> researchers who were/are far advanced in the biology
> than the "beat on cells" physics people), it is also
> important to break the stranglehold on radiation
> research proposals review by the radiation study
> group.  When the science research study groups were
> being restructured in the 1999-2000 timeframe,
> radiation biology and medicine was indeed being
> further incorporated in immunology, not just high
> dose work in oncology.  It would be good to
> understand how this is working now.
>
> There was a desperate effort to "save" this
> classification, as called for in Rad Research.
>
> Note that biology and medicine-related LC
> classifications are:
>
> Subclass QH Natural history - Biology
> Subclass QK Botany
> Subclass QL Zoology
> Subclass QM Human anatomy
> Subclass QP Physiology
> Subclass QR Microbiology
>
> Also, QA is Math, QB is Astronomy, QD is Chemistry
> and QE is Geology.
>
> This is a significant reason why the biology and
> medicine community did NOT know about results
> reported in Rad Research.  I don't know, but I don't
> think, there were other "radiobiology journals" that
> were still outside biology and medicine, and
> especially PubMed which has greatly broadened its
> coverage of journals in the last 10 years or so.
>
> Anyway, Rainer, from your 'public' discussion, can
> you identify which papers were being referred to in
> your interchange that you describe below?
>
> Regards, Jim

May we never confuse honest dissent with disloyal subversion.
Dwight D. Eisenhower

-- John
John Jacobus, MS
Certified Health Physicist