[ RadSafe ] The Role of Low-Dose Radiation in the Maintenance ofLife

Muckerheide, Jim (CDA) Jim.Muckerheide at state.ma.us
Fri Oct 27 10:50:01 CDT 2006

John,

You misrepresent the paper. It does NOT report that "radiation may
increase cancer cell proliferation."  It does say that (as we all know),
the cell cycle checkpoint mechanism is a delay that provides for repair
of radiation damage.  Of course, this is a high dose condition.  We also
know that low doses stimulate repair enzymes that enhance that function
in cells, in_vivo, ex_vivo and in_vitro.  The paper does say that they
found that this also applies to radiation-resistant cancer "stem cells"
(again at high rad therapy doses).

However, Dr Scott is a research scientist of long-standing and high
credentials.  He reports what he finds is known to science.  Unlike
political operatives, he is not obliged to mischaracterize information
to create "another side" like ICRP, NCRP, BRER/BEIR and other
politically motivated individuals.

As I have said for 10 years re NCRP's claim that they stand in the
middle of "the two extremes" (especially after their explicit
misrepresentations of data at our June 1995 sessions) they saying that
they stand in the middle of people saying 2+2=4 and the anti's who say
2+2=22.  So NCRP says 2+2=13 and claims the moral high ground.  They
even wrote this in a letter equating Bernie Cohen and two other credible
scientists to Helen Caldicott and two other antis.

Regards, Jim